Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Quarter

Who likes to find a parking ticket on your car after a long day?  Not me.  I had the opportunity today to save someone from one of those.  As I was walking downtown I saw the meter man turn the knob on an empty meter (just to double check that the money did not get stuck) and then begin the ticketing process.  For some reason I asked, "Sir, can I put a quarter in for them?" and he let me, voided the ticket, and went on his way.  I only had a dime and a nickel in my bag, but that filled the meter.  I went on with my errands and forgot about the whole incident.  Later in the day, I was walking on a pebbled sidewalk, talking to Adam on the phone, and rummaging in my bag when something shined up at me- a quarter.  "Lucky day" I told Adam, "I just found a quarter" and then I remembered:  I put change in the meter for someone today.  Wow.  That was not luck- I would have NEVER seen that with how distracted I was if the light hadn't reflected exactly right.  In the busyness of life today, God was sending me a message.  Yes, it was just a quarter, but with it came the reminder that it is always a blessing to do good things (big or small) for people and yes, God will reward you in one way or another for kindness and Christ-like actions. 

1 comment:

Rick Gray said...

It seems that God's greatest blessings come to us on the smallest things ($0.15), but God rewards us so much more as we did it from the heart and not because of what we would get out of it. Thanks for the personal story as it is a wonderful example of just how God is working in our daily lives.